Friday, August 17, 2018

Adjusting to Bad News and Moving Forward

This month has been tough. Early on, I saw Dr. Cowan, and he told me that he thought I would not regain any more range of motion for my right arm and shoulder than I have right now--I can barely lift it to breast height. I told him I was going to try to prove him wrong. He smiled and said he hoped that I would. 

Still, it's depressing when he and everyone else on the medical team have been so impressed with the progress I've made and the speed with which I've made it, and yet, he doesn't think I'm going to make any more progress. I am determined, however. I intended to order one of those cycles for legs and arms to strengthen and regain range of motion and begin to use it at home, only I decided that I could probably do the same thing for my legs with my Ashford Traditional spinning wheel, and my knitting and spinning on a spindle are taking care of the shoulder/arm, along with the exercises my physical therapists taught me, which I continue to do faithfully. 

I have found a new source of word recognition software in Google Docs. It works really well. I am going to be using it from now on. I hope it's going to help me to become more productive. I still have deadlines to meet. I would also like to start doing some creative work again, but meeting my deadlines is taking so much of my time and energy. I hope this new software will help me to create some extra time for creative work. 


I found the other voice recognition software so clumsy that I could not even begin to do any creative work in it. However, this Google software works extremely well. I will still be clumsy trying to do voice recognition, but over time I might be able to work at least acceptably in this form. 


Here is a quote I found that speaks to what I think I need to do right now. 

Ever since I read The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron–before I had my own business or started life as a freelancer–I have taken the last five weeks of the year to renew my energy and plan my next year. This is my way of rebelling against the anxiety and stress of the holidays and against the Puritan work ethic that tells us “idle hands are the devil's workshop” and makes us believe if we're not busy all the time, then we are lazy and we will end up broke, homeless, and unloved. “Poppycock” is what I have to say to that!” --Donna Druchunas








No comments:

Post a Comment